Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Old Man and the Sea

This week I am writing on The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. First off I will give a summary of the story. The Old Man was a fisherman but he hadn't caught anything for over 80 days. A result of this was that the boy, who was his sailing partner and friend, had to go fish with another man at his fathers orders. Well one day The Old Man set out to sea and after a few attempts he hooks a great big fish bigger than he has ever seen. Unfortunately the fish was strong enough to pull the boat and pull he did. The Old Man began drifting away from land and farther into the big blue sea. After many days the old man was finally able to spear the fish and tie him to the side of his boat. And so he began his journey home. A little later he saw he was being followed by a huge shark. The shark bit into the flesh of his fish as The Old man simultaneously speared him in the back. He had stopped the shark but the fish was maimed and bleeding which meant more sharks. After that two more sharks came but he killed them both with his knife. After many more sharks The Old Man finally made it home. In my opinion it was an ok book. I disliked that towards the end everything is really repetitive. I also disliked that they almost never used names they just referred to him The Old Man. But I did like the story in general. My favorite quote was when the Old Man was talking to The Boy. He says "If you were my son I would take you gambling". I rate the book 3 stars and if you like slow paced books then this one is for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment